March 20, 2014
With spring approaching, it is time to begin cleaning! As you go about dusting your home and purging your stuff, don’t forget to kickstart spring cleaning for your skin too! The harsh winter weather strips your skin of it’s natural oils and leaves it looking dull. So it needs an extra boost to have it’s luminous look restored.
These tips will enable you to make the most of your cleansing routine this season.
1. Find a cleanser best suited to your skin: With shelves of cleansing products in the form of foams, creams, wipes and gels to choose from, selecting one isn’t easy. Different formulas work for each skin type and using the right one for your skin is important. So, you should identify your skin type, if you haven’t done so already. Foaming cleansers are good for oily skin while dry skin requires a soothing and moisturizing cleanser. Combination skin benefits from mildly foaming or gel cleansers while fragrance-free cleansers containing glycerin are good for sensitive skin.
2. Pay attention to the ingredients: Skin care products can contain a host of unfriendly synthetic ingredients. Parabens, phthalates and synthetic fragrance, all make this list. Take time to read the product labels and zero-in on a cleanser that uses natural ingredients to do the job. This way, you do not harm yourself, nor the environment.
3. Skip the extra-special ingredients: Anti-aging ingredients such as retinoids or peptides aren’t always necessary in a cleanser since it stays on the skin for a very short time during cleansing. Age-preventative ingredients are more effective in moisturizers that are worn throughout the day. Focus instead, on the cleansing abilities of the product.
4. Clean from end to end: Ensure that you cleanse all the way from your hairline to your neck. Apply the cleanser and massage it into your skin using upward, circular strokes; to maximize blood circulation and prevent skin from sagging.
5. Cleanse slowly and effectively: Don’t speed through the process. Take your time to make sure the cleanser works it way into your skin and unclogs pores. Massage the cleanser into your face for at least three minutes to effectively remove grime. Pay extra attention to the forehead, chin and nose which are more prone to build-up.
6. Use water at the right temperature: Warm water opens up your pores. Never use hot water as it can dry the skin and cause broken capillaries. End your cleansing routine with a splash of cold water. Do not rub skin dry. Instead, pat the excess water off gently.
7. Cleanse no more than twice a day: No matter what your skin type, do not overdo cleansing. Do it once in the morning to remove the dead surface cells (formed while you were sleeping). Cleanse again at night to remove makeup and dirt that accumulates during the day. If you use heavy makeup, find a cleanser that can effectively get it all off.
After cleansing, use a gentle toner and soothing moisturizer rich in skin-friendly ingredients that can restore and enrich your skin this spring! You can also skip the toner altogether if you have a system that effectively treats the skin, such as the 2-step system by Dr. Lin. What is your favorite must have skin product?
Comments will be approved before showing up.
September 03, 2019
June 27, 2019
April 22, 2019